After rigorous and careful testing, MAYA has been approved as “9-FREE”, several steps above the base standard “5-FREE” label, and as of 2017, the highest officially accepted standard in the cosmetics industry.
9-FREE means MAYA is free of 9 harmful chemicals commonly found in cosmetics. Whereas other cosmetics brands may employ these dangerous chemicals in their products, MAYA is proud to be 9-FREE.
Here’s what some of these disreputable chemicals do:
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) is a commonly used plasticizer and has been linked to cancer. DBP has also been connected to birth defects in studies involving lab animals. In fact, this toxin was added to the California Proposition 65 list of suspected teratogens, which are agents that cause malformations of an embryo.
- Toluene is a liquid that is used as a solvent and has the familiar smell of paint thinner. You can be exposed to toluene by breathing it in or getting it on your skin, causing skin irritation. Unfortunately, inhaling high levels of toluene is said to be harmful to your nervous system and can cause light-headedness and nausea. Toluene is a toxin that may also cause birth defects and developmental problems in children of pregnant women who have had extended exposure.
- Formaldehyde is a big time, major carcinogen, a factor directly involved in causing cancer. Enough said.
- Formaldehyde Resin is a derivative of Formaldehyde, mainly used in the production of coatings and adhesives. It is not as toxic as Formaldehyde but can be an allergen.
- Camphor can cause liver damage in rare cases when applied to skin. Linked to seizures when ingested. Nail biters be warned.
- In addition, MAYA is free of XYLENE, ETHYL TOSYLAMIDE, PARABENS, AND ACETONE, chemicals that carry harmful side effects.
Now that you have this important piece of information, please do your part to better protect yourself, your nails, and your body. Live “9-Free!”